marble over creamic tile?

Old 11-08-06, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
marble over creamic tile?

Can I lay 24 x 24" marble tile over existing ceramic tile floor? The existing tile does not have a high gloss, more of a flat finish.I know the additional height does not cause a problem but I need to know if the thinset will adhere to the tile. Could I sand it or apply some product ? We are talkind about 2000 sq ft of tile, really hate the thought of pulling it all up. Also, any highly recommended sealers for marble? And should I seal the marble before grouting?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-06, 11:49 AM
I've done it before and, to date, have not had to go back so I assume it worked. I used a side grinder with a dry cut blade and scored the dickens out of the old tile to provide plenty of surface for the new adhesive to bond to. With such big pieces. starting with a very flat floor is going to be critical. Also check for signs of issues with the old tile. If it is not well adhered or the floor under it has on-going problems, the new floor will inherit the problems and you will have wasted your time and cash.

Old 11-08-06, 04:00 PM
If the old is over a concrete slab, maybe, if over wood, forget it.

Old 11-08-06, 05:03 PM
Question

Yes, the slab is concrete under the tile. This home/floor is brand new construction and existing tile is new and looks very well layed.The homeowner simply doesnt like the tile and wants marble. One issue I will have also is trying not to create a dusty mess by scoring tile as the home is full of 'fine furniture" and the owners are living in the house through this process, also my reason for not wanting to tear it out. Any 'etching' products anyone is aware of ? And thoughts on sealing, before or after grout?

Old 11-08-06, 05:22 PM
One more question....what would the professionals charge for this job per sq foot? 24 x 24 "marble install and clean/seal?

Old 11-08-06, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't do it! How thick is the 24" stone. You do understand the floor has to be dead flat to pull this off. Otherwise there will be major lippage problems. If you are setting the marble at say 1/16" grout joints and using a 24" piece, the floor will have to be dead on flat. The main concern is you don't know how good the existing tile are installed. Stone is very unforgiving and is different than tile. For that size piece of stone, you will need a medium bed type thinset. You mentioned 2000 sq.ft. so was thinking of the dishwasher. There's gotta be a height restriction with that puppy.
Bottom line is I would not do it unless the old tile was removed and the new marble was installed on a mudbed. Another problem is the baseboards, cabinet toekicks, toilet, doors, etc. Check the thickness of the marble and add it to the mudbed.
Hopefully I have given you enough food for thought. Since it sounds like you are going to take on this project for money, Keep this in the front of your mind, any problems associated with this project will become yours and yours alone. This is based on your last question of how much would a professional charge. Every area of the country has different rates. I can tell you that I bill out at $55/HR plus expenses. I'm simply trying to give you food for thought before you jump into the deep end of the pool. Good Luck

Old 11-08-06, 06:35 PM
Any 'etching' products anyone is aware of ?
Reread another post. Etching products are for slip resistance, not to help bond tile over tile. Re: sealing before or after grouting, Yes to both. Before grout to help prevent staining and after to seal everything.

Old 11-09-06, 06:11 AM
Thanks, really appreciate that.I did check height of all doorways, base, etc and had plenty of clearance although I didnt check dishwasher...good point.I have layed ALOT of tile over the years as i renovate homes as a business and am very good at it.I occasionally sub out myself to do tiling jobs for others. This is the first time I will be working with 24" tiles if I take this job.I want the experience of tiles this large to add yet another dimension to my business ,yet Im trying to decide if this job is to big for my small company.You make a good point about 'owning it", but then no risk is no gain too? More homeowner are moving toward larger and larger tile so Im seeing a need to learn the practice of "huge tile laying" :-)

Old 11-09-06, 06:39 AM
me again.....after reading your thoughts and talking to my business partner we have decided to pass on this job. We dont want the responsibility if its not done well so we will find a smaller job to practice on. Thanks for your input, it helped alot!

Old 11-09-06, 07:05 AM
You make a very good point. Your reputation is the most valuable asset. It takes a long time to build a good one and only one bad job to spread the word faster than it took to build up a good reputation.Small jobs to start with and as you feel more confident larger ones will come along. Some more food for thought! Trust your gut feeling. I haven't listened to my gut feeling over the years and unfortunately have paid dearly for it. Glad I could be of help.