Going over ? ceramic tile

Old 11-10-06, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Going over ? ceramic tile

My question is can I install vinyl tile over what is either ceramic tile or it even looks like terazzo. The tiles are hex shaped and the floor is fairly smooth. What I mean is that there isn't the usual grout lines. Can I skim over the surface with underlayment? Please! Any ideas appreciated! Don't want to tear up the old floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-06, 07:40 PM
Founder
Question why not a laminate

Might be much easier to lay a laminate floor over the base you have. Laminate floors float and are available in many designs, nt just woodgrain.

Old 11-10-06, 07:50 PM
Thanx for the quick reply!

One thing I forgot to mention is that this is a bathroom floor. Any problems with getting the laminate wet?

Old 11-10-06, 08:07 PM
Yes. Laminates are not reccomended in bathrooms. Not only will the water on top eventually get to them, they tend to get water under them also in such water prone areas which causes problems.

Old 11-10-06, 08:13 PM
Ok! I can't use laminate. I want to install vinyl. What prep is necessary to perform on existing floor?

Old 11-10-06, 08:22 PM
You said the existing floor is pretty flat. If that's the case, one of the no-glue vinyls would be an option. As long as the gaps are no bigger than an eighth of an inch and the lips are no more than a sixteenth of an inch, it'll go right over what you've got. The stuff is a breeze to work with and very floor prep friendly. If you need to float the floor, I like Ardex feather edge for that task. The end result is a large vinyl area rug in effect and you can caulk the tub or shower to keep out moisture.

Old 11-10-06, 08:55 PM
When you say no-glue vinyl do you mean lineoleum? You lost me with 1/8 gap and 1/16 lip. Also, what do you mean by floating the floor and ending up with a vinyl floor mat. Sorry for all the questions but I need to get this floor done. Would you suggest self-stick vinyl?

Old 11-12-06, 05:22 PM
Why would you ever want vinyl over tile in a bathroom, what am I missing here.

Old 12-29-06, 01:38 AM
why would i want to put vinyl over ceramic tile?

Well I forgot to mention that it is stained and small chips and basic defects. Just wanted to post that I skimmed the floor with an underlayment material and waited for that to dry. Next day gave the floor a light sanding and cleaned up all the dust. I then applied flooring adhesive with 1/16" notched trowell and waited about one hour or so and laid the tiles. They look great!