Mortar types?

Old 11-11-06, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mortar types?

Could someone please tell me the difference between thin-set, latex mortar, and dry-set mortar? Aren't they all just thin-set with differing consistencies?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-06, 12:31 PM
They are all thinsets. Dryset is also known as unmodified thinset, and modified thinsets and latex thinset are the same, dried modifiers or polymers that get emulsified during the mixing process. Unmodified or dry set can be made into a modified thinset when you use that manufacturers admix in place of water. Dryset and modifieds have their specific uses and modifieds come in a variety of formulations for special needs. What's your project?

Oh, and there is no such thing as a premixed thinset ready to use from a bucket, no matter what the bucket of failure calls itself.

Old 11-11-06, 02:51 PM
Thanks! I need unmodified thin-set and then latex mortar to work the Schluter products. I bought 2 bags of laticrete wall and floor thin-set, but couldn't find anything labelled "latex". Lowe's was my shop of choice today...

Where can I get the latex mortar and Dry-set?

I'm going to be putting up Kerti and Ditra. Kerti needs the unmodified under it and the ditra wants the dry-set under it.

So do I just use the liquid additive with the Laticrete thin-set to get to the Latex?
Really appreciate your help!

Old 11-12-06, 04:36 PM
Schluter System and Modified Thinset or Latex mortor

I just did some reading on the Schluter system (landlords brother is a sales rep), and read that the Ditra system does not like the latex mortor or any modified thinset.

Anyone know if there is a store that carry's the Schluter system products, or is this straight from the mfg?

Old 11-13-06, 03:47 PM
You can special order it from Home Depot or find a local dealer at http://www.schluter.com/locator/index.php