Mastic Vs. Thinset?

Old 11-12-06, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mastic Vs. Thinset?

Not to sure what I need or what the difference is. I'm looking at putting some 12X12 ceramic tile on our bathroom walls in areas where it won't come in direct contact with water (basically floor to 3 feet up around most of room and above the shower stall to the ceiling). I'm planning on mounting the tile to the existing sheetrock, which has the original 1-2 coats of paint on it. I've heard that the ideal situation would be to rip off the sheetrock and install hardibacker to mount on, but that since it won't be getting water on it directly, mounting to sheetrock will be acceptable.
My question is what adhesive should I use; sometimes I've been told to use thinset and at others times mastic. What is the difference between the two?
Thanks,
RJ

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-06, 09:56 AM
There is no "Vs." for your install. Mastic should not ever be used with tile larger than 8x8 and never in any wet area. Since you are setting on the dry atea walls, sand the existing paint and set with thinset-from a bag. The only reason to change from sheetrock to a cement board in a dry area is to punish yourself.

"Premixed thinset" only exists in the deceptive minds of it's makers and marketers. It's as real as the monster that lives under the bed. It really is just mastic with a false advertisment on the bucket.

Old 11-12-06, 01:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That premixxed thinset is junk. I used it to lay down my entryway and will never use it again. It was difficult to trowel. The stuff felt more like marshmellow then a peanut butter feel.

Old 11-12-06, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the info. Self mixed thinset it is.
RJ