Stone tile next to hardwood - is it possible?

Old 11-12-06, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stone tile next to hardwood - is it possible?

(I posted this in wood floors as well --sorry if you are seeing this twice)
Need help!
I have an idea but my husband is sure that it will not work.
We plan on installing hardwood floors in the livingroom and dining room. Between these rooms is a curving single step. Because of the curve of it, I am not sure that wood will work on the vertical face. My idea is to put 1x1 inch stone tiles on the face and have the top edge of the tiles match the end of the wood so that no wood edging would be used. The tiles would be visible looking down from the top seeing only the top the tiles and grout. I think that this would be a nice design feature as well as a safety function as people would notice that there is a step down (or up) that would be much more visible than just the darkness of the wood from all angles.
He seems to think that placing the tile next to the wood is impossible and could only be done with a visible strip of silicone.
I disagree.
Please give me your thoughts and experience!
If I didn't explain this well enough let me know and I'll try again!
Deb

------------------------------------------------------

***Moderator's note: Duplicate thread created in Wood and laminated flooring forum has been deleted***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 11-13-06 at 01:39 PM. Reason: see note in post
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-06, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I'm understanding your plan correctly, it is mechanically doable and I agree that the contrast would highlight the fact there is a step there. I would, however, have the wood lip over the edge of the tile to hide the edge of the tile. The raw tile edge would look tacky and stepping on it may break it loose or chip it. You could use a nice looking bull nose on the wood to terminate it. You may also want to remind your husband that domestic tranquillity requires the queen bee makes design decisions.

Old 11-13-06, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What is on this "vertical face" now? What do you propose to adhere the tiles to? You will need to cover the edge of the tile as Smokey49 suggested as the edge of the tile will be prone to chipping and the tiles may come loose. If you could attach a photo, perhaps someone may have some other ideas for you.