Tiling Bathroom On Raised Foundation

Old 11-14-06, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm going to tile my bathroom, and we had some major foundation work done, and the bathroom floor (raised, not slab), may not be perfectly flat. If there are imperfections, they will be minor, such as any raised floor may have. How do I compensate for those imperfections when tiling?

Bill Wingfield

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-06, 06:46 PM
My assumption is you're dealing with a wood floor. That is one of the reasons I like concrete board over wood. You have to put some sort of medium between the tile and wood. The two materials have dramatically different expansion and contraction rates and tile, glued straight to wood, will not stay there due to this difference. Hence, the need for something between them. I like concrete board because, if properly installed, it will help level out a slightly uneven floor while doing it's primary function. If you are dealing with a concrete floor, a good floor patch such as Ardex or Mapai can be used to float out minor imperfections. If the imperfections are too great for that, a good self leveling patch such as level quick would work. If the floor is concrete and the imperfections are not all that great, the thin set you put the tile down with can sometimes be used to level as you go, but it's a lot easier to level the floor first and then have a good surface to work with.

Old 11-14-06, 10:58 PM

It is a wood floor. I will investigate the concrete board idea. Thanks.

Bill Wingfield

Old 11-15-06, 05:51 PM
Smokey is correct

Bill,

Smokey49 is correct. I'm not a pro but I've done a lot of tiling for myself, friends and family. If you are installing tile over wood you need a cement board backer. A very good product is hardi backer (www.hardibacker.com). This product is available at Home Depot and Lowes (I think Lowes). Also almost any tiling store will have it or something similar. I've read that smokey doesn't like hardi but I haven't had any problems...

You put down thin set first, then the hardi board, then thin set and then tile. If you have a 3/4" OSB or plywood subfloor then you only need a 1/4 backer board. You need 1/2" backer board for vertical applications.

You can only use floor leveling compound on plywood because, I'm guessing, doesn't adhere to OSB very well. You should also use floor leveling compound on top of the backer board if you need it. A general rule of thumb is that you only need to use floor leveling compound if you have a dip in the floor over 1/8 inch. Generally you can fudge or adjust anything under 1/8 inch with thin set.

Good luck.

Last edited by taylorjl; 11-15-06 at 07:44 PM.