bathroom wall tile removal Q's

Old 11-17-06, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question bathroom wall tile removal Q's

I have read a few posts on removing bathroom tile. I have a house built in the 1950's with the 4x4 tile attached to what looks like wire mesh with about an inch or two of cement mortor. It seems like it will be a huge job to remove. I am not even sure how to go about it, any suggestions?

I have toyed with the idea of having the tiles reglazed white along with the tub. I am not sure how this will look, but it would make the job much easier. I know I would much rather have new ceramic tiles.

Any thoughts? I am a intermediate DIY'er. I have done some ceramic tile work in the past. Should I tackle removing the old tile? How difficult will it be??

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-06, 12:00 PM
Lump hammer, pry bar, safety glasses and good pair of gloves and some Tylenol, have fun.

Oh and mask off the tub and cover it well with a moving blanket or good paint tarp if saving it, or it will get all scratched up real fast.

Old 11-21-06, 01:54 PM
The tile job you describe was done as a mud set which is what was primarily used in that era and they were built to last. If you tackle it, you will discover the meaning of the old rip and tear method. There's no easy way that I'm aware of, and yes, it will tear up the tub if you don't protect it. I do all the stuff previously described with the addition of duct taping the protection to the top of the tub. That way no small pieces can get under the blanket unawares and give you a nasty surprise when you pull it out after walking on it through out the work.