Re ceramic tile over plywood floor

Old 11-21-06, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re ceramic tile over plywood floor

Is there any product that i can pour or trowel over my two layer CDX plywood floor that would increase its resistance to moisture? i plan to use a latex modified thinset to adhere the tiles to the board. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-06, 10:36 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by plumbric2
Is there any product that i can pour or trowel over my two layer CDX plywood floor that would increase its resistance to moisture? i plan to use a latex modified thinset to adhere the tiles to the board. Thanks
NO!,Nope.NO!.

Old 11-21-06, 10:54 AM
By "board", do you mean concrete board or the plywood? If it's the plywood, don't do it, you'll be wasting your time and effort. Wood and tile have dramatically different expansion and contraction rates and tile, glued directly to wood, will not stay there. You need a medium between the tile and wood to compensate for the difference. The three I am aware of are, concrete board, Hardi backer, and Ditr Membrane. There have been a couple previouse threads dealing with the pros and cons of all three that you may want to check out.

Old 11-21-06, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You can go over the plywood with Schluter Ditra. Its not a trowable or paint on membrame. Its a uncoupling sheet membrane that gets bonded to the plywood with modified thinset. The membrane itself is waterproof as well. However for a waterproof installation you'll need Kerdi-Band at the seams. Tile gets set on top of the membrane with unmodified thinset. You can read up on this at this link.

http://www.schluter.com/english/products/2002/sectionf/ditra/601-index.html

Old 11-21-06, 11:52 AM
Unhappy

Get rid of the CDX plywood, it's not an acceptable grade for a tile subfloor, even with Ditra, it could be a problem, maybe.

Old 11-21-06, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hmm - missed that.