Strategy to tile kitchen

Old 11-23-06, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strategy to tile kitchen

I am getting ready to tile our kitchen and am looking for a strategy. With 3 kids I need to to tile my kitchen in an efficient approach. I am using hardi-backer and intend to cut and dry fit it as a start. I do not have more than one full day in a row to work on this job (Sunday and Thurdays off). I was considering setting the hardi-backer over the entire 10 x 14 floor then splitting the job in half. If I do this should I apply the grout or wait until the other half is ready, and if so, can the ungrouted surface be walked on? With the drying time of the thinset I am tempted to grout the first half before I start the second. Will this create an issue with the grout matching over the entire project?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-06, 06:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wait 24 hrs before you walk on the tiles, or you will ruin the bond btw the tiles and the floor.

You can tile, and then grout later, but you'll want to sweep the grout lines out really good. Make sure your kids take their shoes off. The less dirt, the better.

If you're going to need two batches of grout, whether the same day or not, make sure you use the same mixture formula each time.