two-color grout

Old 11-25-06, 04:46 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
two-color grout

Just finished grouting shower stall yesterday. Now that it's dry, I notice that in several areas the grout is almost white, instead of the tan that it should be. I'd really like it to be one consistant color.
I followed the directions on the bag as best I could. Used plain water to clean up. It's a sanded grout called something like "Keracote 2".

Also, the bag says to "not submerge the grout in water for 21 days". This sounds like a very long cure time. Since I used this on the floor of the shower as well as the walls, do I need to wait three weeks to use the shower?
How soon can I seal?

Old 11-25-06, 08:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The white you see in the grout is effloresence (sp). It's the salts that make it white. I had this problem with mine. I attempted to clean it real good with water, then white vinegar, then acid, all with little effect. I just applied grout colorant from www.groutdye.com and it looks great now.

I haven't heard of grout taking 3 weeks until water can be applied. I've never heard of that grout you are talking about.

Old 11-25-06, 08:48 PM
N
"Keracote 2" I think...my spelling is probably off.
I thought the length of time and the fact it used the word "submerge" strange.
Is there a way to avoid efflorecence?
And now that it has set up, should I try more scrubbing with water or vinegar before I succomb to grout dye?

Old 11-26-06, 10:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Exclamation

You can try to remove that effloresence with white vinager. If that has no change, then they make acids which are found at Home Depot type stores that are stronger. None of these worked for me, but has worked on other peoples. I had to resort to grout colorant which was easy and turned out nice. I would follow the directions of the grout manufacturer. I wish I could tell you more info, maybe a tile pro can chime in.

Old 11-26-06, 02:33 PM
N
Thanks Mark.

I looked, and my grout is Keracolor S. I'll give the vinegar a try after vacation. The tile has plenty of variation in color so the grout seems to blend right in today. Wife might be able to live with it.
Might take another two weeks or more to see it get sealed, install shower door, toilet, etc... We'll let it cure as long as we can stand it.
That first shower will be a welcomed Christmas gift.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: