Floor remodel question

Old 11-27-06, 12:01 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floor remodel question

I am doing a 5x7 bathroom. I will be reinstalling a 60" tub along the back wall with a toilet and vanity. Here's my question:
I am tiling the floor and using 1/2" Hardiboard as a backer. Should I also go under the tub with backer or just up to it?

Old 11-27-06, 01:13 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You could go under the tub with the Hardi but theres no need to.

I prefer to install the tub, then stop the Hardi about 1/8" to 1/4" from the tub. As to the toilet, that has to be installed on top of the tile. I also prefer to install tile under the vanity so that if you ever grow tired of the vanity you can easily replace it.

Why are you using 1/2" Hardi instead of 1/4". Generally, 1/4" is for floors and 1/2" is for walls, although you can use the 1/2" on floors. Cement board adds little to no structural strength to the floor. If you can afford the extra height, it would be best to add more plywood (minimum thickness would be 3/8") and use 1/4" Hardi. Another layer of plywood will substantially increase the strength of the floor. What do you currently have as a subfloor? What is the size of your joists, the on center spacing and the unsupported span of the joists?

Old 11-27-06, 07:51 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is 2x10 joists 16" on center. I have ripped up half of the floor due to water damage. I sistered joists onto the original ones and am putting down 3/4" subflooring. The other half of the original subfloor is sound. I plan on using 12x12 ceramic tile. Will 1/4" be sufficient? That would be great. It would save me some mulla! Here's a pic of what I have done so far. I hope to have the subfloor down tomorrow night.

Copy and paste in browser:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/jclaar/DSC00840small.jpg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: