Tiling Behind Refrigerator

Old 11-28-06, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling Behind Refrigerator

A few months back my wife and I had granite countertops installed in our kitchen. We opted not to have a backsplash put in because I was going to tile the walls. I have started and it looks beautiful so far. I am coming to the point where I need to decide if I want to tile behind the refrigerator instead of ending the tile at the end of the countertop and cabinets. My wife and I originally thought we would end it at the end of the countertop. I placed the tiles there to show her what it would look like and now she says she might like to tile behind the fridge. I don't have a problem with that if I have enough tiles. (I should) But my question is... What is customary here? I've seen it done both ways. If I do tile behind the fridge I think I should tile most of the top and out a few tiles from the side so that nobody can see where the tile ends. I say most of the top because we have a tall fridge but the next owner here may have a shorter fridge and the tile would show.

So... What do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-06, 08:44 AM
Now pay close attention here, you're going to need this information for years to come and you need to remember it. For the sake of domestic tranquility, the queen bee makes the decorating decisions. In this instance, there is no "customary". There are no structural or safety issues here, just a matter of what it looks like. In most instances it isn't the man who buys the house, it's the woman. He's just there to sign and pay and a future buyer is more likely to agree with her tastes than yours anyhow. You did, after all, ask her opinion. Not trying to be mean here, just tryin' to help you out.

Old 11-28-06, 09:02 AM
Smokey... Thanks... I know what you mean. I think it will look good either way and so does my wife. She's a little more than 50/50 in favor of it.

Another question... Should I wrap the tile around the sill of the window over the sink or stop and just do the walls up to the sill? Do you know what I mean? Wrap the tile around the sill to meet the window?

Thoughts?

Old 11-28-06, 09:25 AM
I've done that both ways and both look good. If you don't wrap the sill, it needs to be trimmed out. I've done some where it's wrapped all the way around, top and all, and my own preference is to do the bottom in tile and the top and sides in wood, sheet rock or what ever. I think that protects the bottom from moisture due to condensation and ties it in with the walls but still dresses the rest up some. Then again, didn't you say you are doing the whole wall and not just a back splash? in that case, it may look better to wrap the whole thing. It's not a structural thing and both methods look good. I would recommend at least doing the bottom though.

Old 11-28-06, 10:14 AM
Smokey... Thanks again. Yes... I'm doing the whole wall under the counters. The lower portion has two rows of 3X6 tiles (brick look) all the way across... Then a small 5/8 bead... Then 4X4 tiles on the diagonal all the way up to underneath the counter. I'd post apicture but is says I can't attach it.! You can cut and past this I suppose to give you an idea of what I'm doing...

http://home.comcast.net/~jonenekirby/tile.jpg

I think I am going to wrap it... I agree... I think it will look better. Then we'll see about behind the fridge...

Old 11-28-06, 12:19 PM
The picture worked. You're doing a nice job. It looks great. I like the pattern. Are you going to use sink rail or something to transition from the wall to the sill or do they make a bull nose piece?

Old 11-28-06, 01:20 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Rick

Very nice looking work you did there. Looks fantastic so far. Be sure to show some more pictures as you go and when your done.

Old 11-29-06, 06:13 AM
Smokey... I bought what they called chair rail to cap the top of the tile. The tile is tumbled so every edge is finished. If I have to show a cut side I distress it with the wet-saw blade and then grind it a little with another tile. It looks very close to the tumbled look. So close I doubt anyone would notice... Cetainly not my wife and that is all I need to worry about!

I am going to wrap the tile around the window frame. It is already drywalled so I could leave it and end the tile at the edge.

It took me about 30 minutes to cut the first tile to wrap this thing... Sheesh... Getting it exact is a PITA! But that is all I have left... wrap the window and then finish behind the fridge with what is left. I will post pics when I am finished.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Rick

Old 12-02-06, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ricky,
When you are done with your kitchen, come over and do mine. I'll even throw in a case of beer for your troubles! :-p Your tiling looks great! Good luck!