Kitchen backsplash

Old 12-01-06, 09:20 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen backsplash

The backsplash in my in-laws new home is ceramic tile and the counter is a traditional laminate. Where the two meet behind the sink the grout is very thin and getting wet has made it chip away. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? ie. clear caulk or a sealant. I don't know much about tile but hate to see this keep chipping away. I would be afraid to try and match the grout color to repair it.Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-01-06, 09:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums

If the house is brand new, the builders 1 yr warranty should cover repairing the grout.
If not, I'd get some caulking the same color as the grout.

Old 12-01-06, 09:46 AM
R
Thanks

It was a family built disaster, so I'll look for some caulking.

Old 12-01-06, 10:40 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Where tile meets counter it should have been caulked. Expansion and contraction tend to make grout in this area fail, such as where tile floor meets a bathtub.

Old 12-01-06, 01:41 PM
S
Use color match caulk any where there is an angle change or a material change. Your situation has both. The vertical wall and horizontal counter top move separately of each other and grout, being non flexible, won't stay there. The tile and counter top have different expansion and contraction rates which produce the same result. The two in concert make it very unlikely the grout will stay in place. Dig the old out and use color match caulk instead of grout to seal the gap between the two. By color match caulk, I'm talking about the corresponding caulk made for every color of grout made.

Old 12-02-06, 07:39 AM
S
Use the right caulk

If it's grout, you need the proper grout tool to remove it and to avoid chipping the tile. Caulk is much easier to remove. The big sign for failed caulk is discoloration, mold, looseness, etc.

Do make sure that before you apply new caulk, you clean the area thoroughly, remove ALL old caulk and residue and that the caulk surface is completely dry. Use a high-grade caulk specifically for 'plumbing' purposes. Make sure it completely cures before exposing the areas to any moisture. Even cooking produces moisture. Running water in the sink....

There will be product recommendations on cure time but if you live in a humid climate, it may take longer.

In my experience, cleanliness almost always makes the difference in good original work and a good repairs.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: