Help with choosing caulk for tiled shower

Old 12-04-06, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with choosing caulk for tiled shower

Hello,

I have tiled shower (everything is tiled even shower pan) and I am redoing the joints and will be using caulk. However, I am unsure of the type of caulk to use. Everything I read seems to tell something different.

I understand that silicone is supposed to be the best, yet I am sure that I will have to replace eventually (how often by the way do you usually have to replace caulk, does it last 2 or 3 years ) and it is supposed to be a pain in the A.. to remove and as such, hard to replace correctly.

I have read some good things about Polyseamseal, even though it is not silicone, people seem to like it and it might be easier to replace down the road.

All and all, I am looking at the best product that will last the longest but also that allows to be repaired without too much work (except if this last 15 years, but I doubt it would be the case).

Any recommendations?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-06, 09:51 PM
Every color grout has a corresponding color match caulk made for it. These caulks are made specifically for this purpose. If the old grout is completely removed and the area to be caulked is completely clean, these caulks will hold up well. It's why they're made.

Old 12-06-06, 08:36 AM
As I read your question, Im not sure what you are referring to when you say you will be redoing the joints and will be using caulk. By joints are you just referring to changes of plane (where one wall meets another or wall meets ceiling)? If so, TEC makes a whole spectrum of colors in sanded and unsanded caulk that is made specifically for this purpose. If you are talking about filling all grout joints with caulk, dont do it - thats what grout is for.

Old 12-06-06, 11:41 PM
i agree.

do not use caulk for field grout joints ... use grout.

use a colored caulk made by the grout manufacturer for places where there may be movement, like where one wall meets another wall and where the walls meet the floor or pan.