tile in the basement

Old 12-04-06, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tile in the basement

We are in the stage of our basement remodel where we are going to be installing the flooring. We are going to be installing berber carpet with a tile border in the family room and in between the family room and the kids play room there is a 5 foot by 13 foot area that we are going to tile the whole thing. My idea is to put 4 rows of 2 18 inch tiles turned on a 45 and fill in the rest of the area with the same 12 inch tiles that will border the carpet. Will this work with only having to cut the 12 inch tiles in half on the 45 to fill in around the 18 inch tiles? Not sure if I am asking the question the right way? We are just trying to add intrest in this tiled area. Am I making the job too difficult by doing this?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-06, 09:42 PM
You are indeed making the job more difficult, but, too difficult? That depends on your ability with your hands. I use the same approach myself only reversed. I normally do the diagonal in the field and border with straight, but that's just my taste. What you have planned should look good and will create the interest you're after. The arrangement or pattern you use is limited only by your imagination and the end result will be well worth the extra effort. One suggestion, make a few templates of the two sizes of tile out of cardboard and then play with them to see if your intended pattern will work before cutting tile and then wishing you hadn't. Have fun.

Old 12-05-06, 03:20 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/Rich7/File0013Custom-1.jpg

Old 12-05-06, 05:16 PM
Huh..... Seems like I've seen a pattern like that before. Nice job Tileman. Just what I was referring to.