Cracked new caulk - tile backsplash

Old 12-11-06, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cracked new caulk - tile backsplash

Hello,

I put some caulk (Polyseamseal tub and tile) between the backsplash and my butcher block countertop and after just a couple of days, the caulk is cracking ??? I tooled it with a sponge and some water. I have no idea why this might be the case? The joint has to be flexible as butcher block does expand and contract. Is there something I might have done wrong (and not realizing it)? I know silicone is more flexible but it is so hard to tool correctly that I do not want to use (I know I will do a mess). Am I using the wrong product?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-06, 08:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
You probably used too much water when you smoothed it out. You don't really want to get the caulking wet, just have enough moisture on the sponge [or rag] to cleanly smooth the joint.

Old 12-16-06, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile

look nimalex even if silicone is hard to handle here is a tip to do a very clean job.
Cover the two surfaces ( in your case the backsplash and the butcher block) with masking tape living just for a both side a 1/4 of inch .
Place the silicone with the tube and then with a very small teaspoon in one shot clean the excess stuff left by your silicone tube.
The teaspoon will give you a nice and smooth inside groove.
Go with a dump sponge if you have to, you'll have the masking tape to protect the area from a mess.
Remember to pull the tape right after finishing it before it dries.

Sandro