Tile in the shower

Old 12-13-06, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile in the shower

I hung tile for the first time a few days ago. I used 4x4 ceramic tiles and 1/4 inch spacers. Everything went well and I am happy with the result.

My only problem is that I pushed the spacers in to the thinset pretty far and now I am having trouble getting them back out.

Is it safe to apply grout over the spacers? If not, any tips on how to get them out without destroying the work I've done so far?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-06, 03:22 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Maggie

Normally those spacers are not used the way you used them. Im assuming you used them at the corners where four tiles meet and embedded them into the thinset. Normally, those spacers are used in such a way to separate the tiles by pushing one end between two tiles, so you would use two to support one tile. Then when the thinset has set up sufficiently you can grab one end and pull them out.

Try using the edge of a flat head screw driver to work them loose. Its really best if you can remove them. Be careful not to chip the edges of the tile. It may take lotsa time and patience. They are not supposed to stay there.

Where is the tile, on a floor, on a wall, in a shower, on a backsplash? How thick is the tile?

Old 12-13-06, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow! I can't believe that I misused the spacers like that! It made so much sense when I was working

The tile is on 3 shower walls, applied over cement board. I think the tile is about a 1/4 inch thick, but the spacers are set very deep - they do not stick out past the tile at any point.

I tried a screwdriver, but didn't have much luck. Well, I guess I learned a valuable lesson for next time, right?

Old 12-13-06, 04:17 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Maggie

If its in a shower I would not chance covering over the spacers with grout. You really need to take the time to dig them out. The longer you wait, the more the thinset will set up and the harder it will be to remove them. The grout is not likely to stay put over the spacers over a long period of time and may affect your grout color. The grout joints will not be deep enough over the spacers.