exterior tile on hardibacker/cement board

Old 12-15-06, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
exterior tile on hardibacker/cement board

I am building an outdoor kitchen. I am now designing the counter. I want to use two layers of 1/2" cement board with a exterior rated thinset and slate tile. The counter is exposed to rain and once in a while freezing temperatures. I live in southern CA. I've heard that putting cement board outside and being exposed to freezing or saturation can pop tiles. I have cement board outside now with stone attatched to it by exterior thinset and currently no problems. However it is in a vertical position and gets wet but not saturated. Anyhow I need advice on how to build the counter properly. I would like to build it out of cement board (wonder, hardy?) please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-06, 10:25 AM
2 layers of cement board won't get you any strength. Hardi is for interior use. Go with 3/4" exterior rated plywood, then Durock or Wonderboard set into thinset and then water proof the whole thing with something like Redgard waterproofing membrane and the plywood giving you your strength will never see water.

Old 12-16-06, 01:12 PM
Smile

An outdoor kitchen?
I hope you did use cement blocks or red bricks to make the cabinets unit bases.
however a mud slab on 3/4 of an inch exterior grade plywood on the countertops with a waterproof membrane will be enough ( it would be better a cement slab in my opinion). Do not use any cement board, they do not hold the thermal excursion us a mud slab would do.
use non sanded grout to fill the joints between tiles and try to not do these to large 3/8 of an inch at the most.
Sandro.

Old 12-17-06, 11:11 PM
I do in fact have a concrete base (cinder block). What is thermal excursion? I also have a problem with using ply because I can't have any combustible materials within 12" of each side of the grill. If I did use two layers of cement board I would have steel reinforcement every 12" across the 30" opening over the concrete base. I would also have overhang approx 12" in the bar area. Again, steel reinforcement. I am confident I could get two layers of cement board study. I am mostly concerned about tiles letting loose. The waterproofing material mentioned, do you thinset right on the proofing and then tile?

As a plan B I have thought of pouring a 1-1/2 counter top out of concrete or lightweight concrete with of course lots of steel and then dropping place. The reason why I wouldn't pour in place is because of the amount of linear feet of overhang. I don't care to shore up 20' of forms. Any thoughts on all of these questions and concerns.