Changing grout color

Old 12-18-06, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Changing grout color

OK...the boss picked a grout that after I install the floor/grout she is not happy with. She wanted it more of a tan/gold and it dried very white! Since we want to go "darker", what are good products that are dyes, not "paints". I tried a product from Lowes and it was literally like a paint. If I had my way...when the grout is "wet" its the perfect color. How do I retain that darker look when wet? Any suggestions? This is a bathroom floor!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-06, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you want to change the color of the grout, use a grout colorant. It will change the color and seal the grout at the same time. Im assuming you havent sealed the grout yet. Is that the case.

Old 05-08-07, 05:24 AM
this is my situation

The above is not my post but I am in the same boat. I like the "wet" color of my grout. But when it dries it is so white and light colored. What to do? It has NOT been sealed yet. Thanks!

Old 05-08-07, 05:30 AM
Angry ps..

sorry. This is in a kitchen. About 175 sq. foot. 1/4 grout lines...
tiles are 12X12 tannish colored with a sand color grout. Suppose to be sand. Turned out very light sand..almost whiteish.
thanks..

Old 05-08-07, 08:55 PM
If you like the color when wet, then grout sealer will likely give you the look you want. Try some in an inconspicous place to see if it works.

Old 05-09-07, 08:48 AM
Tried That, Didnt Work. As Soon As The Sealer Dries, The Grout Turns Super Light Again....
...apparently There Has Been Complaints Of This Product (mapei?)
I Contacted The Manufacturer And They Are Fed-exing Over Night A Dye/sealer To Apply To The Grout. They Are Doing This With No Fuss And No Charge. Makes Me Think They Have Had Problems With This Product Before....thanks For Your Help