Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Intentionally staining granite countertops a different color do-able?

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-06, 04:39 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I bought a house 2 years ago that already had a "decent" and complete kitchen remodel which included all new cabinets and granite counter tops. The problem is the color of granite is a blobby salt and pepper pink and black. Could I try to etch and stain using the pigments that work on concrete?

I know this is an odd idea, but I'd like to just dye it charcoal color and see what happens. I suppose the way to do this is test on a scrap piece of similar color.
Just wondering if anyone out there was crazy enough to have tried something like this before me.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-06, 05:17 PM
T
Due to the hardness and denseness of granite, attempts to stain it to change its color will not be successful. "Salt and pepper pink and black?" This is a decorator's delight for selecting cabinet, wall and floor colors to play up this awesomely expensive countertop or to downplay its presence in order to make it fit into your color scheme. Perhaps a black backsplash above counters and accessories would allow the black to dominate and take the eyes away from the pink. Avoid pinks and reds. What colors are in your color scheme? What are your theme and style? For decorating assistance, post on the Decorating Forum.

Old 12-20-06, 02:30 AM
Rip it out and get new granite

Old 12-20-06, 10:15 AM
H
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
"Salt and pepper pink and black?" This is a decorator's delight.
Yeah, I wish I had pictures.... it's kwality granite, but it's the ugliest color. I'd prefer a more monotone carbon, black brown or otherwise dark tops, but that's just me.
Maybe someone els would think this is the greatest kitchen on the planet.

Old 12-20-06, 06:11 PM
T
Talking

Originally Posted by HackOfAllTrades View Post
Yeah, I wish I had pictures.... it's kwality granite, but it's the ugliest color. I'd prefer a more monotone carbon, black brown or otherwise dark tops, but that's just me.
Maybe someone els would think this is the greatest kitchen on the planet.

First you hate the floor tile, which was probably installed incorrectly, now the granite, what's next the cabinets?, maybe it's time to redo the whole kitchen, should I pack up the truck?

Old 12-21-06, 03:11 AM
Yeah I know what you mean , the wife picked out the color and sent me out to find the slab , the store had so many beautiful colored slabs I wanted to disreguard her and get one I loved but I know I would not have lived it down, we went with a almost solid black with white speckles through out and black granite tiles laid like and cut like bricks from the counter top to the bottom of the cab.s -well almost to the bottom - I used plug mould tight to the bottom of the cabs and the tile makes it look recessed , I ditched the outlets along the wall over the counter , I think this looks better and you have a plug every 6 in.

Old 08-29-08, 10:00 PM
D
Hi, yes you can stain your granite tile. Were in the process of doing it now. We're using pecan color wood stain and its working great. You would never know it wasn't naturally that color. Just be careful of the grout because it will stain it as well

Old 08-30-08, 05:19 AM
C
Originally Posted by HackOfAllTrades View Post
Yeah, I wish I had pictures.... it's kwality granite, but it's the ugliest color.
digital camers are real cheap, and a quality investment.

search the web for pics of similar granite and post the links here.
google images

Old 08-30-08, 05:29 AM
C
Old 08-30-08, 07:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This thread is oldddddddddddddddddddddd

Closed Thread