remove tile behind radiator without breaking

Old 12-20-06, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
remove tile behind radiator without breaking

I have 3 ceramic tiles cracked in the shower wall and want to replace them. I plan to remove the baseboard radiator and would like to remove some of these tiles to do the repair as they are hidden behind the radiator. What is the best way to remove them to use over again. After the radiator is out I'll have access to at least 13 wall tiles so I can afford to break a few any tips would really help.
Thank you
joe1575

***Moderator's note: Duplicate thread created in Walls and Ceilings Forum has been deleted***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 12-21-06 at 12:06 PM. Reason: see note in post
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-06, 12:08 PM
Chances are, those tiles were stuck to sheet rock. If that turns out to be the case, you may break the first one or two, but you should be able to get the rest off. If they're stuck well, you'll most likely tear up the sheet rock doing it, but sheet rock is easy to fix. If you end up with sheet rock stuck to them, put them in a bucket of water to soak to loosen the stuff up before trying to remove it. That makes it soft and less likely to break the tiles in the scraping process.

Old 12-21-06, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Smokey49 View Post
If you end up with sheet rock stuck to them, put them in a bucket of water to soak to loosen the stuff up before trying to remove it. That makes it soft and less likely to break the tiles in the scraping process.
Soak in water was a great tip
thank you smokey49
joe1575
pitts. pa.