Joint between tile wall and tub

Old 12-23-06, 08:38 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Joint between tile wall and tub

I started to re-caulk the tub, and found both tile grout and caulk in the joint between the tile wall and the tub. For flexibility it seems that this joint should be caulk only. Is that correct, or what should be in that joint?

Also, is the joint between the tub and the tile floor grout or caulk?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-06, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where tile meets tub on wall or floor, the gap is caulked. This provides flexibility for movement. Movement causes grout failure.

Old 12-23-06, 10:12 AM
That's what I thought

Thanks for the info!

Old 12-23-06, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The guidelines for caulk versus grout are, angle changes and material changes. For instance, the joint where the back wall and side wall of a shower meet. The two walls move independently of each other and grout, not being flexible, will not stay there so this joint is caulked rather than grouted. The same applies to walls to floor, back splash to counter top, and so on. Where tile and a different material meet is also a caulk area instead of grout. For instance, where a door thresh hold meets a tile entry, or where a wood floor meets a tile floor. Tile and wood have very different expansion and contraction rates and again, grout, being non flexible, will not stay there. If you have grout behind caulk, it needs the grout removed, the area thoroughly cleaned, and caulk applied to seal the joint.

Old 12-23-06, 03:04 PM
Thanks, Smokey49

That's a good rule of thumb, thanks. I was planning to remove the grout- the previous owner must have put both grout and caulk in there. I keep finding little surprises like that. Nothing too weird or critical, I just wish he had asked for help (from DIY.com, for instance) before he did that kind of thing.