Tub re-caulk, part 2

Old 12-23-06, 07:58 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Tub re-caulk, part 2

OK, I've removed old caulk and some grout from the tub, and now I can't remember the steps to recaulk (my HD reference book is put away somewhere). Fill the tub with water to weight it, apply caulk, and then what? Drain the tub immediately, or after the caulk has set up?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-06, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Many do not fill the tub with water before caulking. But, if you have a plastic or fiberglass tub and there may be movement, it is helpful to fill the tub with water. If you have a cast iron tub, then there will likely be no movement. The caulk must dry overnight, so you can drain the tub the next day.

Getting surfaces clean where old caulk was is extremely important. Silicone will not stick to old silicone. If you have mildew problems, after cleaning surfaces with alcohol, disinfect to kill any mildew. When surfaces are dry, you are ready to caulk. Have a damp cloth on hand for wiping up caulk and wiping off the finger you used to smooth the caulk. Lock yourself in the bathroom and do not allow interuptions until the job is complete.

Old 12-24-06, 06:58 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Too funny

Been a while since I locked myself in the bathroom, but it's good advice what with kiddos wanting to "help". Thanks for the info!