cutting 1" x 1" ceramic tile

Old 12-28-06, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cutting 1" x 1" ceramic tile

I am currently tiling my kitchen backsplash with 1" ceramic tile. The small tiles are held together with mess to make 12" x 12" squares. I am having a problem trying to cut the 1" tiles on my wetsaw. Any suggestions on how to do this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-06, 02:17 PM
Try nippers may be an option.

Old 12-28-06, 02:33 PM
I've used two pieces of wood, some clamps, and my side grinder with a dry cut blade to cut those before. Mark where the cut needs to be, sandwich the part you're keeping between the boards in such a way as to allow the mark to protrude from between them, hold the whole affair together with the clamps, and start slowly following the mark with the cutter.

Old 12-28-06, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't use a grinder for this, they are dangerous for a DIYer to try, use nippers or a wet saw, the wet saw won't hurt you, it can be a PITA, but you can hold them with pliers with tape on the jaws to protct the tile.

Old 01-02-07, 06:09 PM
cutting mosaic tile

You don't say whether you have removed the tile from the mesh or not, but I would cut the mesh so that whole tiles are on the mesh. Any rows where you need to put part tiles up, remove from the mesh and cut on the wet saw, one at a time. I put up a pattern which included 1 in mosaic tiles in my kitchen and I had a wet saw. I never tried to cut anything less than 1/3 of a tile, which was about 1/3 of an inch, but other than that. I was careful cutting, and I left room at the top for grout, so nothing had to be exact.

Use an exacto knife to cut the mesh, but I do remember that you couldn't cut the mosaic tiles on the mesh on the wet saw like it was one big piece of tile.

Old 01-03-07, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by cilla2004 View Post
You don't say whether you have removed the tile from the mesh or not, but I would cut the mesh so that whole tiles are on the mesh. Any rows where you need to put part tiles up, remove from the mesh and cut on the wet saw, one at a time. I put up a pattern which included 1 in mosaic tiles in my kitchen and I had a wet saw. I never tried to cut anything less than 1/3 of a tile, which was about 1/3 of an inch, but other than that. I was careful cutting, and I left room at the top for grout, so nothing had to be exact.

Use an exacto knife to cut the mesh, but I do remember that you couldn't cut the mosaic tiles on the mesh on the wet saw like it was one big piece of tile.

That's fine, except most of those backings fall apart once they get wet.

Old 01-03-07, 03:38 PM
wet mesh

I may not have explained clearly. The mesh is not going to get wet because you don't cut any tiles which are on the mesh, with the wet saw in the first place. Let's say you have 12 tiles wide and 6.5 tiles high to put up. Cut the mesh sheet 12x6 tiles (with an exacto knife) and put it up. Then pull 12 individual tiles off the other half of the sheet and cut each of those tiles in half. You should have 12 half-inch tiles, (or 24 if you use both sides). Now put 12 of those half inch tiles up. There is no need to get the sheet of mosaic tile near the wet saw and they should stay dry until you need them. I don't have as much tiling experience is many people on this board, but almost all my experience is with mosaic tile.