Grout Repair Questions

Old 12-31-06, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grout Repair Questions

Several months ago I tiled my bathroom floor with 12"x12"x3/8" ceramic tile, and grouted using sanded grout (1/4" spacing) made by Custom Building Products (color: dark green...can't recall exact shade name). I used thinset mortar, applied directly to the concrete slab floor. I made my baseboards using 3" high leftover tile pieces, and attached them to the wall with tile mastic. So, the grout is all cured, but I have yet to apply the grout sealant (I haven't used this bathroom yet, by the way). I have two grout problems that require fixing:

1) For some reason, the grout color on the floor came out light grey (rather than the dark green), but the grout color on the baseboards came out fine (dark green). Both were from the same bag, but different batches. Why did that happen? I decided to refrain from sealing the grout until I fixed the color problem.

2) Not too long after I tiled the floor a 6' long, narrow (from hairline to about 1/32" max) crack in the grout appeared. I'm virtually certain it is due to slight horizontal displacment in the slab due to the soil drying out during the summer. Drainage in this corner of the house is kinda poor due to gutter discharge and ground sloping problems. I can't say for sure if the crack will get wider or close up again later. Oh yeah, there is also some similar cracking in the grout joint between the floor and baseboard tiles, in one corner of the bathroom.

My question is: What is the best way to proceed to fix my two problems? I'm thinking I should force something (unsanded grout? special caulk?) into the cracks, and then apply a dark green grout stain to match my original dark green grout, and then apply a grout sealer. Any suggestions on a suitable crack filler and grout stain supplier (assuming that this is the way to go)? And I'm very curious to hear theories on why my floor grout color didn't turn out right, so that I don't have to go through this again on a later project!

James

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-07, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your grout is miscolored due to eflourecense.

You can try and remove this by using a strong dose of white vinager and water, or some type of acid available at HD/Lowes.

You also can purchase grout dye. I had to do this with my grout. It came out great.

In regards to the cracks-
You should not use grout where the floor and a wall meet. Always use caulking in these areas. The wall will shift and that will cause grout to crack.

Only way to fix the grout, is to get all of it out, and start fresh.

Make sure you follow the manufacturers instructions on mixing and cure times, and sealing.

Old 01-03-07, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Your grout is miscolored due to eflourecense.

You can try and remove this by using a strong dose of white vinager and water, or some type of acid available at HD/Lowes.

You also can purchase grout dye. I had to do this with my grout. It came out great.

In regards to the cracks-
You should not use grout where the floor and a wall meet. Always use caulking in these areas. The wall will shift and that will cause grout to crack.

Only way to fix the grout, is to get all of it out, and start fresh.

Make sure you follow the manufacturers instructions on mixing and cure times, and sealing.
Thanks for the info. So is it the thinset or grout beneath that is efflourescenscing (sp?). Cause I didn't seem to have problems with the bathroom baseboard grouting, which was bonded to the wall using mastic. Also, I didn't have that problem in the kitchen floor or shower walls, which also used thinset, but a different color of grout (grey). Weird...somethings not making sense here.

Old 01-03-07, 09:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had the same problems as you. Some areas the grout looked ok, others it had a whitish/grey shade to it. It's a natural thing that occures I guess. Something to do with salts. It has nothing to do with your thinset.

Clean the cracked grout out as best as possible. Replace grout that was against a wall, tube, cabinet, etc with caulking. They make colored caulking to match your grout usually.