First tile job!

Old 01-04-07, 06:28 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First tile job!

I am new to this forum,so first things first. Hi everybody. I completed my first tile job yesterday. The only thing I have to do is grouting. Here is a pic of my floor.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/sanman65/000_0612.jpg

My question is Is their a way to give this floor a *wet* look? One that will last?

Am I missing something? Why can't I post pics?

Last edited by DIYaddict; 01-04-07 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Fixed url since VB code is not on
Old 01-04-07, 06:33 AM
D
Talking

Why can't I post pics? Is their a trade secret?

Old 01-04-07, 08:02 AM
S
I can't answer the pictures part because I haven't figured it out either, but someone will let "us" in on the secret. As to the tile, what is it? If it's ceramic or porcelain, no there isn't. Nothing I'm aware of will stick to it because the surface is so dense nothing soaks into it. If it's natural stone or saltillo, it has to be sealed periodically and there are different gloss levels to the available sealers. There's also a product called Stone Glamour used to gloss up fireplace stone and such, but I'm not sure how it does in showers so, if that's the route you choose, make sure it'll hold up first.

Old 01-04-07, 09:22 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hi dirthauler Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums

Just for a little explanation, the code is off regarding posting photos, but the url you posted works. Members will have to cut and paste the url into their browser to see it. Sorry if this causes any inconvenience.

Old 01-04-07, 10:11 AM
S
Well, looky there, it works. That looks like an unglazed porcelain. Anything you put on it to gloss it up will only cause it to look really bad later requiring a lot of work to correct. If there are other options, I'm not aware of them.

Old 01-04-07, 10:35 AM
F
dirthauler ...nice work. It kind of looks like guaged slate and if so, you should use a sealer and there are wet-look sealers for this. I use a good one that I can't think of the brand but it's about $50/gallon. One coat is all you need. I can check it out tonight when I get home and get back to you if you're interested.

If it's man-made tile like ceramic or porcelin, then smokey is correct in that no selaers can penetrate it so all you can really do is seal the grout.

Just a question ...why did you off-set the row of tiles on the outside of that boader? Glancing at it quickly, my eyes are drawn to it and it looks like they are just not lined up right. Overall, though, good job!

fsufan8

Old 01-04-07, 12:55 PM
D
Talking

It is a porcelain tile. What i was trying to do with the border was to put on the outside 12x12's then run the border then the rest 12x12's. I was trying to figure out how to align them up. I should had started on am easier job.

Old 01-04-07, 01:12 PM
S
It looks fine. The joints not lining up only serves to define the border from the center. I'd have diagonally the center part to really break it up, but that's just me. We all have different esthetic tastes and if you're happy with it, it's great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: