Raising concrete floor in order to lay tile

Old 01-09-07, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Raising concrete floor in order to lay tile

Hope someone can help lead me in the right direction because I can't find anything when searching the internet. Our entry way and kitchen floors are brick pavers which we are getting ready to remove. They are 1 1/4 inches thick. Underneath is concrete (which at this stage, we obviously don't know what condition that is in). We are going to lay porcelain tile but my question is what all do we have to do to raise the floor that high? The new tile floor will meet up with a wood floor which is in our dining room and a game room which is tile. Right now the brick pavers are flush with both those floors. Any suggestions/advice would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-07, 10:41 PM
When you say the pavers have concrete under them, what does that mean? Are all the floors on a concrete slab, are the pavers installed over concrete backer board, or were they installed over a mud set concrete bed?

Old 01-10-07, 05:51 AM
Sorry I didn't make that very clear - our house is on a concrete slab and they counter sunk the area where they put the pavers to allow for the 1 1/4 thickness of them. So no, they are not on concrete backer board - just the slab.

Old 01-10-07, 09:57 AM
huh.... That's a new one for me. I've never seen that done and it makes me curious if that section was actually counter sunk or the rest had a fill added to bring those areas up. Immaterial at this point, but it still peeks my curiosity. Any how, I suppose you could use a self leveling compound to bring it up, but that's a pretty good sized area to do that with and will probably be fairly consistent through out. Have you considered having someone pump light weight concrete into the areas in question once the old floor is removed? They should have everything necessary to get it flat, level, and smooth. Another option might be to try to find a porcelain tile close to the same thickness as the pavers. I've never seen one that thick, but that's not to say they don't exist. I'd suggest an "old school" mud set, but that's usually a bit much if you're inexperienced.

Old 01-10-07, 09:39 PM
Mapeis Novoplane can be taken up an 1" in increments of 1/4 with primer applied after each layer,but..this could get very expensive.
I would bring in a Pro on this one and have the whole floor pulled or screeded.
This is a lot of work.
I have seen this before and they screeded the floor with new concrete.

How tight are the pavers?
Are they secure?

Old 01-11-07, 05:41 AM
That area would require so much self leveling vcement that you would be looking at about $5+ per sf on self leveler and on a large pour like that, a lot can go wrong. Light weight concretes are no good for under ceramic either as the thinset and gypcrete are not chemically compatible so then you'd be needing another $2/ sf worth of membrane. Really the only way to go would be a 3/4" thick mud bed bonded to the slab with thinset.

How many sf are you talking about? It's not as hard to do a mud bed as you might think.