Removing Old Ceramic Tile Floor??

Old 01-10-07, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Old Ceramic Tile Floor??

I posted below asking how to place tile over tile and responders seemed to indicate it was no more trouble(either way a lot of work) to remove the old tile/grout/mastic floor than deal with all the extra issues of leaving the old tile floor and tiling over it. This would imply in my mind that it may not be as much trouble as I thought to remove the existing tile floor?
So just how hard would it be to remove my 8x8 glazed ceramic tile/grout/mastic floor(200 ft.) over a concrete slab? I went over to local equipment rental store and they had a heavy manual bar with like a sharp scrapper at the end as well as a kneumatic devise that did the same thing. How difficult would it be using say the manual devise to get the floor up? Will it pop up/off fairly readily with hard scraping or will some areas be almost impossible to get up and require say power equipment grinding to get down to a smooth concrete substrate floor underneath ? THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-07, 09:38 AM
I certainly hope no one's advice led you to believe removing tile from a slab would be easy. If it's easy, thank God for incompetence. The installer didn't do his job. If the tile was correctly installed, manual labor will take on a whole new meaning. There's nothing "easy" about it, but there are tricks folks pick up after doing enough of it. One I've learned is to smack the tiles with a small sledge to bust them up. This sort of shocks them loose in many small pieces. If it really was installed with mastic and not thinset, it may not be as much of a chore. The relatively small area you're doing will help by being less to do, but not any easier over all.

Old 01-10-07, 10:03 AM
I know it will be hard labor and from your descrip[tion it sounds like a lot more than whats involved in going over the existing tiles. I guess there are different views on this. But, with a lot of effort how cleanly does it come up? Does the tile separate from the mastic first and then you have to work on the mastic? Can one get it all off with a scrapper as I described or are other tools normally required? I use the term mastic generally-how can one tell if it is mastic or thin set? THANKS

Old 01-10-07, 10:20 AM
How many hours/days do you think it will take with manual scraper? How man hours/days with pneumatic/power scraper?

Old 01-10-07, 11:02 AM
Mastic is white, thinset is gray. There are special application thinsets that are white, but they have sand in them where mastic does not. Mastic is not made for floors and, if it was used, will probably come up fairly easily. If thinset was used, it won't unless it was mixed improperly or your concrete has water issues that were not addressed. If it's installed correctly, a scraper is not usually all that successful. I use a hammer, pry bar, and chisel. I pound the tile with a small sledge to break it up and shock it loose, then use the pry bar by driving it under the broken tiles to pop them loose. Once all the tile is gone, the hammer and chisel works on any remaining thinset.

Old 01-10-07, 11:46 AM
Wink

I went to the rental store. They had a electric chisel That had a wide S/S flat blade. It worked like a top on the tile and thin set. Didnt have to do anything more to the floor But lay the new tile.

Old 01-10-07, 09:33 PM
Like Smoke said mastic is white and premixed avoid it like the plague.

I do things a little different then some. I use the thinset that matches the grout the best. If I have dark grout I use gray thinset,if I have light grout I use white.
The white can be a little more expensive but not much.,

Ed is on the money with the chisel concept. I have done it Smokes way also.
Both will work but one will move faster and that is the hammerdrill chisel.

That style at the rental shop works good for a wood removal but It does not have enough wieght behind for a ceramic removal,That is my opinion.
I always use a hammerdrill with a chisel point.