re-grout over old grout??

Old 01-10-07, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
re-grout over old grout??

Again. new house, other folks stains....the shower in the master has UGLY grout in shower....I hate tile showers, but came with the property.....so I now have a small tile shower floor and standart bathroom tile walls.......I want to "white up" the grout and make it more uniform (have some cracks, pits etc)...can Ijust re-float it?? or do I ned to remove the grout (how!?!) and then redo....

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-07, 06:34 AM
Some say you can acid wash the existing grout and grout over it.
This will not work if unless the primary layer of grout is very thinIt still has limted results
Have you thought of staining it?
They sell grout stain.

Old 01-11-07, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the existing grout is cracked, floating new grout over it will most likely crack as well. The only best option, if you want it to last, and look better, is to remove the old grout. They sell grout remove tools at homecenters. Using a Dremel tool with the appropriate attachment will speed things up.

If you can live with the small cracks, and pits, they do sell grout dye like ifllc stated. I recently did this after my grout job went arye. I bought it from www.groutdye.com

They can match almost any color grout you want.

Old 01-12-07, 11:15 AM
hi Robby..
I have to agree with Ifllc and HotinOKC, but if you have small grout line joints like 1/4 inch or less you donít have to remove the old grout so deeply with complicates tools, just remove the loose grout and go whit a construction knife o cutter and make a grove with it just enough to let the new grout go in
I would do like that.

Ciao
Sandro