hardwood to ceramic problem

Old 01-10-07, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hardwood to ceramic problem

I want to replace some old parquet hardwood flooring at our main entrance with ceramic tile. Our main floor is a cement slab and upon trying to remove the hardwood, I realized it was glued to the cement. Not good. It took me 10 mins with a chisel to remove one little section. I am dealing with only about a 4 x 10 foot area but don't look forward to trying to remove all this hardwood. First question is: Does anyone know a good way to remove this wood instead of a chisel. Secondly, do I even need to remove the wood? If not, what should i put over it before applying the ceramic? If I do remove the wood, what should I put on the cement before applying the ceramic? I'm sure I am missing something here. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-07, 09:23 PM
What I do in a case like this is: Rent a hammerdrill with a chisel end,get a good set of gloves,be sure before you start you have plenty of hot water for the bath you will need to sooth your shoulders and arms and the dust you will encounter will paste the room do be prepared for that as well.

Chisel that sucker up!You will save yourself about $250 in a removal fee. not to mention the floor prep.
Then get a 4" scraper and get the glue off the floor the best you can. Fill the spots were the concrete came up with Ardex,you can find this at HD or a local flooring outlet.

Use a good modified thinset to set the tile you are good to go.

Old 01-11-07, 06:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You could also use a heat gun, not a hairdyer. These will heat up the glue and make it alot easier to pull flooring up. Obviously, don't get it so hot that the old wood flooring catches fire. :-p