Sealing tile

Old 01-15-07, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing tile

I'm making a tabletop with ceramic tile inserts. How to finish the tile for stain resistance. Would polyurethane work?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
***Moderator's note: Duplicate thread created in the Wood Finishing topic has been deleted***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 01-15-07 at 09:21 AM. Reason: see note in post
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-07, 01:16 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the tile is glazed ceramic or porcelain, your only concern should be the grout joints. No dont use polyurethane. They make sealers for this purpose. Use a good quality sealer to seal the grout. Aquamix makes several good ones.

Old 01-15-07, 03:18 PM
I agree with HeresJohnny. The materials listed won't accept a sealer because the surface is not porous, giving the sealer nothing to soak into. If you use a natural stone material, that's a different story. But, with what you said you're using, a sealer on anything except the grout is pointless and will start looking bad fairly soon.

Old 01-16-07, 01:01 AM
aqua mix makes some of the best stone tile and grout sealers around.

we trust nothing else to our clients and they never let us down.

http://obscurity.ws/search.php?query=aqua+mix+sealer

it also needs to be noted that sealing isnt a once and done thing.

it needs to be done bi-yearly to yearly depending on the foot traffic of the area.

Old 01-16-07, 02:35 PM
It will work.

A contractor I do work for tiled his countertops in his bathroom with slate.
I did his shower and tub, kitchen and fireplace.
He did not want to pay the price I would charge for countertops.
He sealed them with polyurethane concrete driveway sealer.They looked good and to date it is holding up very well.
I thought it would not work either.

Chalk that one up as learned lesson . It will work.

Sometime we have to throw the book out and accept done deeds.
If it works; goforit.

Old 01-16-07, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Im thinking that suobs is talking about polyurethane that you would use on wood, not concrete driveways. But I could be wrong.

Im also guessing that this contractor who didnt want to pay your rates to do a countertop also didnt want to spend $25 for a quart of sealer, so he used what he had and hoped it would work. Apparently so far is has. Im confident that if he had you do the countertop that the right sealer would have been used. I wonder if there are any health issues to be considered with polyurethane concrete driveway sealer on a countertop. I dont know the answer but its worth worrying about - maybe. It just makes no sense to me why someone would want to recreate the wheel to save a few bucks.

Old 01-16-07, 03:40 PM
You're also talking slate versus ceramic, which is what this thread is concerned with. I wouldn't think any of this stuff would do any thing but peel off ceramic since it doesn't soak in. I did see a coffee table made of ceramic that had a thick coat of bar top glaze on it and seemed to be holding up well.

Old 01-16-07, 10:28 PM
over time there are literally millions of projects where where standards are not adhered to and/or recommended products are not utilized.

some work some of the time.

some fail some of the time.

I submit to you that this is why standards and recommendations are created in the first place ...

to prevent failure, because recommended standards utilizing recommended products ALL work ALL of the time in the right suitability for a particular purpose or specification for the right application.

They exist to seek uniformity with greater precision in a world of all to many unknowns.

Standards are fundamental to ensuring success in creating a better way of living for all.

Old 01-17-07, 04:39 PM
I think you are right Johnny.

I thought about the porousity of the slate, Smokey, it will resist flecking also.
I was suprised at how well it looked. Two coats is what it took.

Floorman you are way to deep....but.... well said.