premium mod-thinset question- is it good?

Old 01-15-07, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy premium mod-thinset question- is it good?

Yesterday, I layed new ceramic tile on my bathroom floor using premium modified thinset. There was some leftover in the bucket when I finished. I forgot to clean the bucket before retiring, and this morning I went to clean the bucket out and the thinset had hardened. But when I went to chisel it off, it came off rather easily, which has me very worried right now. Why would it come off so easy? I mixec the correct amount of water to thinset ratio, exactly, so why does it appear to be so weak? Shouldn't it have been rock solid and difficult to break up? I have not grouted yet, so if I need to adjust something, I can do it before I grout. The tile appear and feel bonded to the floor, and not weak whatsoever. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-07, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hi Jane

Not to worry. Thinset takes a long time to cure and will continue to cure for several weeks after. You will be fine with what you have done and your description of what you found in the bucket was normal. You may still be able to remove a tile from the floor today, but dont try it. Next week, you'll have one heck of a time removing a tile. You should be ok to grout today.

Old 01-15-07, 12:24 PM
Whew! What a relief. Thanks so much for the information.

Old 01-15-07, 06:17 PM
Too, SOME buckets are made of mateirals that thin-set and other harding materials DON'T stick will too.

I agree, the bucket SCARE, is NOT a SCARE.

Dale
Indy