Cost of professional grout cleaning

Old 01-16-07, 10:34 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cost of professional grout cleaning

I have some grout in my kitchen & entryway/hallway that needs to be cleaned. It is originally a light tan color. Some of it still looks pretty good, and some (mainly in kitchen) is getting somewhat dark. I think it probably all needs to be cleaned and resealed so a uniform appearance can be achieved once again.

How much should I expect to pay for a professional cleaning of the grout? There is around 300 sf of area with varying size glazed ceramic tile. The larger tiles are 12"x12", the smaller ones 6"x6" and 6"x12" if I remember correctly. Nothing needs to be moved out of the way.

I just want to know what is fair so I am not getting ripped off. If it is too much I may also consider doing it myself, but I think it will be a lot of work.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-07, 04:38 PM
T
Cost of professional grout cleaning will vary from area to area. Call local tile dealers to find if they offer this service and how much it would cost. Most people purchase a commercial grout cleaner and DIY. If you DIY you can't get "ripped off."

Spray on a commercial grout cleaner and let set. Scrub with stiff brush and rinse. Avoid bleach products as they will bleach tan dye in grout. To keep grout clean, apply two or three coats of penetrating grout sealer with small brush or foam applicator. Sealing should be done at least every couple years. Grout cleaner, sealer, and supplies are available at home centers and janitorial supply stores.

Old 01-17-07, 07:54 AM
Z
Thanks for the tips. I was and still am considering cleaning the grout myself in a manner similar to what you describe. I was just hoping to find a basis for comparison on price. I know it can probably vary quite a bit, but I was just curious before I start calling around.

Does anyone (Home Depot, Lowes etc) rent machines to clean the grout?

Any preferred grout cleaners? It seems like the Aquamix is on brand that people here are recommending.

Old 01-17-07, 09:38 AM
T
Stick with the aquamix, you'll be fine, if the grout is really dirty, use a wet vac to suck up the water from cleaning, wiping and mopping it up just spreads it back into the grout joints.

Old 01-17-07, 10:33 AM
Z
How long would you estimate it would take for me to clean and seal the grout myself (with the wife's help)?

As mentioned before, 300 sf with level of effort as follows. Tile size is 12x12, 6x6 and 6x12 I am guessing.

20% significant discoloration of grout
60% only minor discoloration of grout
20% essentially no discoloration of grout

Thanks

Old 05-29-10, 11:27 PM
zepman, length of time will depend on how well it cleans up. No real formula for do it yourselvers. If grout was sealed before, you will need to make sure the sealer is all removed. A grout release is a good one, it has an acid to help cut the sealer and yuck. But it's a lot of hard work, yet worth keeping the money in your pocket. You will need to scrub the grout, wipe up the residue with a moist cloth and scrub it again until it comes up with no discoloration in the mix. Then you know you've removed all the dirt and stuff. Remember to keep a clean bucket of water to wipe up the residue. If you use the same water, you've just defeated the purpose and re introduced the dirt back into the grout. Same application when you clean your floors. Always have clean water when moping your floor. Most grout gets dirty from dirty mop water, swifters, etc. Not because of dirt on the floor.

Old 05-30-10, 04:22 AM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Vickie

How nice of you to revive all these 5 year old threads to pitch your product.