mudpan floors

Old 01-17-07, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mudpan floors

i'm trying to redo the bathroom that's 25+ years old. got all the tile off the walls and the toilet and vanity out. you could hear "hollow" sound in certain places in the floor, so (being stubborn!!) I decided i'd tear out the floor and just go back with ceramic tile. Guess what? some of that mudpan stuck really well to the concrete slab. tried a chisel and it takes forever. any way i can just pour cement and fill in the emtpy area and then put tile down?
did i mention i'm kinda short on time? have 15 kids coming from church next weekend. at this point, i'll be happy with the floor, toilet and sink in....

Thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-07, 07:52 PM
I am sorry nobody got to you. I must have missed this post.

You are at an empasse. Put the toilet back throw a rug down get through the weekend.Then we can walk you through this.
If I understand your problem correct; some of the floor has come out with the tile and you cannot get all the tile up?If the tile is well stuck you can overlay it.
Use a modified thinset, I would advise a Mapei product,(it is the best mud on the market)
This can be floated with even the thinset you will use for the tile.
The flat side of the trowel you have for the tile will work. mix your mud a little thick, not much just enough to fill the holes. you can mix more if need but you can control what you lose if you mix to much.

Use the back of the trowel to lay mud over the holes, wipe it opposite directions for a good fill. let it dry at least overnight longer if you can, thinset takes three days to start curing, knock off the high spots and lay that tile down!
Lets us know if you need more input.

Old 01-21-07, 07:32 AM
Thanks, One of the contractors that runs through work told me the same thing. I've got the fills done and should be able to start putting down tile tongiht or tomorrow....Corp says we have to use vac time or lose it, so i took the week off!! Thanks for you help!!