Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

installing tile in my kitchen, will I need to raise the cupboards?

Old 01-18-07, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have vinyl flooring now and will be taking it off. Underneath looks like 1/8 subfloor. I see this by taking the vent off in the kitchen. I'm told I need at least 1/4 subfloor for tile and than the tiles themselves will add to the hieght of the floor. I just installed a dishwasher over the vinyl flooring. I guess what I need to know is should I just tile to the edge of the cupboards and under the dishwasher? Will it really be a hugh difference of height for me standing at the kitchen sink?

Thanks Sue

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-07, 02:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
The 1/4" is for cement board [also comes in 1/2"] and tile is generally 1/2" thick. You probably won't notice the counter being less than an inch lower unless you are tall and the counter already feels low to you.

Old 01-18-07, 07:29 PM
The floor you are seeing is 1/4 luann.
This can be removed or overlaid like mark said with a 1/4 backerboard.
Or if the vinyl is stuck well you can install Ditra right over it all. this will raise your floor the minumal amount available. ditra ia 3/16 tall with the mud bed under it 1/4, tile 3/8= 5/8 add1/4 for mud=3/4
If you had a problem with the dishwasher the tile could be removed easier than raising or lowering the countertops.It wuld be isloltaed to the tile in fron of the unit.
Chances are if the dishwasher fails so that it has to be removed the floor will be damaged already, by the water.
the ditra mat will actually repel the water to a point, it is waterproof.

Old 01-19-07, 01:00 AM
Check to see if dishwasher legs are adjustable. Some models have this capability. If the dishwasher dies or you decide to go for one of those fancy stainless steel models, you will not want to block it in.