Subfloor problem?

Old 01-21-07, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Subfloor problem?

Hi everyone;
My wife and I bought an old ranch house built in 1964. The entry was dark with a solid front door and a coat closet blcokicn glight from the living areas of teh house. We pulled out the closet, and pulled up the sheet vinyl and carpet around the are. We now have a roughly 7X7 foot entry way, that I'd like to put slate on. The subfloor was 3/4 particle board and I've taken all that out. Underneath that is tar paper, and then 2X5 solid tongue and groove wood surface (all over 96" long) over 4X4 joists 48" on center. I'd like the new floor to be about the same height.
This transition area is between the living room with hardwood floors, and the kitchen, with bamboo laminate.
So, I have some questions...
What to do about a moisture barrier?
Can I use 1/2" hardibacker as the substrate for the slate?
Any other advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-07, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sure you can, but overlay that plank with 1/2 plywood first.
It is never good to overlay diemensional lumber with any backerboard.
Then if you need a thinner backerboard you can use 1/4 hardi ,if it was a bigger area I would reccommend 1/2 under slate and that is what is preffered but it is only an entry so if hieght is a problem 1/4 should be fine
Be sure to mudset the backerboard and nail or screw it down good.

Hardi will offer a moisture resisitance that other cbu's cannot give.
Us a 1/2 notch trowel for slate.

Rent a wet saw you will need it for the cuts, cutting slate is like cutting dried mud, be sure to keep your grout joints clean, preseal the the tile prior to groutiing this will keep the grout from staining the slate and help with the flecking/shaling that may occur.
You can use a grout relase or a natural stone sealer.
After the floor has been grouted wait two weeks for the grout to cure and reseal it to your liking,each coat will add a brighter look to the slate and bring out the contrasting colors that slate is so famous for.

Remember slate will vary in hiegth and width dramaticly from tile to tile.

Good luck let us know how it goes.