Best way to remove Vinyl flooring for Ceramic tile install

Old 01-24-07, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to remove Vinyl flooring for Ceramic tile install

hey,

Trying to find out what is the best way to remove the current Vinyl flooring for a Ceramic tile install. And if there is anything else that I should be doing here.

A friend of mine was asking for some help on this. This is in his basement, there is vinyl flooring down on top of I believe plywood and then a cement floor. We were told not to install ceramic tile on the existing vinyl flooring.

Are there any good tools or secrets to getting up the vinyl tile? Or is it pretty much just slow and tedious by removing them by peeling and scraping?

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-07, 01:00 PM
Vinyl tiles and the adhesive under them are rendered very soft and pliable with heat. I've used a weed burner at times in very large areas or a heat gun in smaller areas. Wagner makes a power paint stripper that is a heat gun, but doesn't last much longer than one or two jobs like this. I've never been able to get it sufficiently warm with a hair dryer. Sometimes, if the tiles are old enough and the glue dried enough, I've been able to use a floor scraper to do it with fairly good results. One of those construction scrapers that looks like a garden hoe someone has straightened out works. The razor scraper version is actually less useful in this application because the tiles get jammed up on the shoulder that holds the blade.

Old 01-24-07, 01:26 PM
"There is vinyl flooring down on top of I believe plywood and then a cement floor." Plywood has to go to. Vinyl & plywood can be removed at the same time. Concrete will have to be clean and free of all contaminates--paint, adhesives, sealers, strippers, etc.--for good adhesion of thinset for tile.