Cutting Hardibacker

Old 01-25-07, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting Hardibacker

I need to cut out a tub opening in a 1/2" Hardibacker deck. The last time I did this I used a ceramic blade in a jig saw. It was very slow and messy. Is there a better tool for making curved cuts in cement board?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-07, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wayne

Hardi recommends that you score the lines and then break the center out with a hammer. The dust from cutting with power tools is hazardous to your health. I know - thats not an exact science.

Ive used carbide blades in my jigsaw, diamond blades on my angle grinder, masonry blades on my circular saw. For a bigger cutouts Id go with the angle grinder. They all work but they are all really messy. Do all your cutting outside and wear a mask and safety goggles.

Woops - just noticed you probably already have the hardi installed and will be cutting it inside. The jigsaw will make less of a mess than the grinder will.

Old 01-25-07, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the response. I haven't installed it yet. I was looking for help because I used Hardibacker on a tub deck in my own bathroom and cutting the opening for the tub kicked my butt. I was looking for a better method than the jigsaw.

I'm open for a different product. I bought hardibacker because I've used it for tiling floors and had good luck with it. Of course there were no big cutouts.

Old 01-26-07, 12:29 PM
Acually the Roto-Zip bit does work well here, just go slow.

I use an angle grinder and diamond blade.

Old 01-27-07, 03:47 AM
After losing badly with a number of weapons, reciprocating saw with course (not wavy) hacksaw blade worked for me. Cuts aggressively and makes large dust. I used a broken old blade - not the one shaped specially for the saw. Throwaway.