Tiling my Bath surround area...

Old 01-26-07, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling my Bath surround area...

This weekend I plan on pulling down my old shower walls to see what's underneath (hopefully cement board that's in good shape) and replacing it with glazed porcelain tile. I've been looking around and I don't really like small tiles so I'm thinking 16'' by 16''. Would there be any problems with coding or whatnot regarding the tile size on a shower wall. I know it seems large but I really like the large tile look. If anybody could share any ideas or concerns I'd love to hear it. Also, would this tile (Marazzzi) brand, glazed porcelain be appropiate for the job? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-07, 12:18 AM
I've noticed quite a trend the past few years doing what you propose. Done correctly, it works fine and looks great. Porcelain is an excellent material for the job. However, the idea you'll be able to reuse anything on the existing walls is unlikely. You don't say what's on the walls currently, but, if it's tile and you can get it off without hurting the surface it's attached to, it wasn't done correctly to begin with. Tile, done correctly, doesn't come apart willingly. It's normally a "tear down to the studs" thing and start over.

Old 01-27-07, 12:36 AM
Have to wait to see

I was searching around the forums a little bit more and it looks like I should be ok. As for what's underneath the surround now, who knows. I think the surround is made of fiberglass so I'm assuming it was glued to the cement board or drywall. After some DIY tasks I'm assuming drywall because nothing else seems to have been done correctly and it would explain the mold/rot problem I've noticed between the tub and surround. Either way, thanks for the response, we'll see how it goes! Also, any suggestion as to what options I may have for the edges? The tiles are thick and large and I don't believe bullnose is an option. I also have a window on the main wall about 1/2 way up that may pose a small problem. Thanks again

Last edited by Vulgrath1; 01-27-07 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-27-07, 01:00 AM
Do you have a good tub saw for the project? if so, you can miter the outside edge of the tiles, miter a narrow piece with the glazed surface showing, and thinset it into the void left from mitering the tiles. That wraps the finished surface around the edge and back into the wall leaving a finished edge. You can also use a different color or even a different material that is bull nosed to trim out the edge, sort of like a feature strip. If I do it that way, I normally put a band of the same material horizontally about half way up the wall to tie it all together visually. Check with your supplier first though, lots of that type tile does have a bull nose trim available.