Help laying travertine floor

Old 01-27-07, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help laying travertine floor

The sub flooring has been finished with 1 1/8 plywood and 1/4 hardibacker in accordance with the threads on this site. I'm now ready to lay a travertine floor. The question of the day is do I modify the thinset? What size notched trowel should I use 1/4"? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-07, 12:02 PM
1/4" trowel is good for 12 x 12 and bigger tiles. Be sure you use the little plastic spacers they sell by the bag.

You must not be buying the thinset in the bag and adding water to ask about modifying it. The consistency should be like heavy pudding. All (not some or most) of it should fall off the trowel easily when lifted out of the bucket, but when you put it to the ground and trowel it, the trowel lines should hold up firm and start to slightly flatten on the edges as the water drains at the edges of the lines.

Old 01-27-07, 01:42 PM
How big is the limestone tile, 1/4" is probably too small.

What size are the joists under that subfloor, their spacing and length of them unsupported?

Buy a good white modified thinset you just add water to.

Old 01-27-07, 09:41 PM
The joists are 2x10's and 16"oc. I estimate the longest length to be about 12-14' Travertine tiles are 18" sq. Standard construction from the early 1980's. Thanks for the responses

Old 01-28-07, 05:49 AM
The joist system is overspanned for stone. You need to sister those joists or cut the spans to no more than about 10.5' with a wall or post/beam below