How do I cut 1 X 1 porcelain mosaic tile?

Old 01-29-07, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I cut 1 X 1 porcelain mosaic tile?

I'm installing 1 X 1 procelain mosaic tile in my bathroom. What tool do I use to cut these tiles. I will have a lot of them to cut so I want the easiest method possible.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-07, 08:21 AM
So far as I've been able to find, there is no easy method so I'll be watching this to see if someone comes up with one I haven't tried. I've settled on my side grinder with a dry cut blade as the method that works best for me, but it's slow.A tub saw may be faster, but I've always had problems with the sheets coming apart from the water. If you use the grinder method, wear eye protection and try to make sure all the cuts will be hidden because they aren't as clean as a wet saw cut.

Old 01-29-07, 08:22 AM
Youll need to remove them from the mesh backing and cut them individually. Nippers will do, as well as a wet saw (you may need something to hold them with other than your fingers - pliers etc). I know, its a pia.

Old 01-29-07, 08:39 AM
Ya know, some days I just feel like an idiot. It never dawned on me to take them off the mesh. Tunnel vision I guess.

Old 01-31-07, 07:20 AM
Thanks

Thank you for the info. In the back of my mind I was hoping for an easy way since I'll probably have a couple hundred tiles to cut. I guess the moral to working with 1 X 1 tile is to build your shower so you don't have to make many cuts!!

Old 01-31-07, 11:32 AM
Yes, planning, planning and more planning. The reality though is sometimes you get lucky with mosaics and not many cuts, other times your not so lucky. A wet saw will make pretty fast work of it though.