Securing A Small Cabinet Against A Tile Wall

Old 01-29-07, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Securing A Small Cabinet Against A Tile Wall

Securing Cabinet to a Bathroom Tiled Wall

I wish to secure a storage cabinet onto a bathroom tiled-wall. We rent the apt and cannot drill or damage the tiles … but can drill at the corners where the grouting joins them. The weight of the cabinet will be rested on the top of a radiator cover cabinet. The wall will not be bearing the cabinet’s weight. The mounting is solely for the purpose of securing the unit so that one can open its doors without tipping it over.

The cabinet is 24" x 24" x 6"s

One of my ideas was to lay three rows of industrial velcro along the cabinets back. Since the wall won’t be bearing the weight, I thought this might be an effective approach and the least damaging to the existing tiles.

Another would be simply to drill holes where the tiles meet (and only slightly damage the corners of the tile… and then regrout when I remove the cabinets.) and use plastic anchors to secure the cabinets.

I am open for suggestions which might be more effective. Please advise. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-07, 05:51 AM
Considering the parameters you've layed out, I would think either would work. In this instance, I think my consideration would be, which will be easiest to clean up later. There's one additional option you might consider. Take two pieces of tongue and groove material. What they are is immaterial, it's the tongue and groove you're after. Cut one side of the groove off one piece. Mount this piece to the back of the cabinet with the lip that's left from cutting one side of the groove off on the bottom and away from the cabinet so there's a void between the lip and the cabinet back. Mount the other piece to the wall with the tongue up and located in such a way that, with the cabinet in place, the piece on the cabinet engages the piece on the wall and the tongue and what's left of the groove lock together. This method allows the steadying part to be mounted on the best place on the wall to take advantage of grout joints and also allows the cabinet to be easily removed and remounted for cleaning. Just lift it off or set it on. I think I'd drill through a grout joint in the corner where four tiles come together to have the best chance of not damaging a tile, use a fairly small hole, and run a screw into the hole without the plastic plug. Don't tighten it any more than just snug. Fixing the hole later will be easier.

Old 01-30-07, 07:18 AM
Yes, I had considered that alternative

Thanks, appreciated. I had considered the alternative of the cleat or z clip.

With that choice it becomes a little tricky in terms of lining it up so that tongue and groove or cleats dovetail exactly and allow the bass of the cabinet to rest on top of the marble base that I have placed on top of the radiator with out a gap between the two. But, I think I can solve that by cutting one piece to the size of the cabinets back... leave the matcing cleats (the one that will attach to the wall longer... place them together... place it against the wall... and mark it off.