Do I need a new sink too?

Old 01-30-07, 02:38 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need a new sink too?

We are going to replace our countertops with granite or Marbel tile - is there any tips or hidden cost's we havent thought of?

Can we re-use the sink we have? It's sitting on a laminite counter currently...

Material list:

new saw blad for wet saw
1)tile
2)thinset
3)grout - if we do grantie it will be black and heard of using a silcon grout product. Anyone heard of this, had experiance with it?
4) Sealer
5) plywood and backer (hardi) board
6) I have the float, notched troul, and what not for the tiling

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-07, 03:07 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the sink is in otherwise good condition and you like and think it will look great with your new counter, then go for it. There are many decorator sink options today, but stainless steel still rules. It's popularity is reinforced by the popularity of stainless appliances.

Just a note re: granite versus marble. Granite tends to be more durable because marble is a limestone that is easily etched by acidic drinks and foods. Both require keeping sealed and cleaning and maintenance with products recommended for natural stone. Grout will need to be sealed as it is porous and absorbent of oils, soils, and stains which can be a problem in kitchens, especially in the food prep area.

The ceramic tile pros will get you going on your natural stone tile. They can walk you through the installation.