floor prep ?

Old 01-31-07, 03:36 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
floor prep ?

Can anyone tell me the best floor stripper for a concrete floor, I want to install ceramic tile on a concrete slab floor the old floor had vinyl in one section and carpet glued right to the concrete in other sections.When i took the old vinyl tile up theres a shiny black coat of something on the cement but the cement looks to be in good shape just need to get the black stuff off and the carpet glue

Old 01-31-07, 07:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That "black" something on the concrete is probably some type of concrete sealer to prevent moisture.

Regarding any glue. Get yourself a heat gun, NOT a hair dryer, and get a floor scraper (available at Home centers) and scrape it up. It's not a easy task, but it will come up.

You do not have to get all the glue up. The thinset can go over it without any real issues.

Old 02-01-07, 07:24 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
That black stuff under the vinyl is cutback adhesive and is likely to contain asbestos. Do not use a heat gun or hair dryer on it. If you decide to remove it yourself, keep it wet while your working with it. Use hot water and a scraper to remove it. Scrape off as much as you can mechanically, ideally removing everything but a stain on the concrete. You dont have to get it perfect, as their are thinset mortars that you can go over cutback with. The idea is to get it flat as possible so the tile will sit flat on the concrete slab.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: