Recoloring grout

Old 02-09-07, 02:51 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recoloring grout

Since we are selling and downsizing after 21 years, We decided to do a final face lift to the ole home place. When the tile installer came to replace some of the floor tiles he told me about a product that he could use to change the color of the grout. (Aqua Mix Professional or Color Guard Professional) Presently I have a dark taupe grout and cache floors. It is in good shape and not discolored but when he painted a small area with the lighter color, it was truly amazing. It made the tiles appear much lighter and like new. I have lived with this area for about two months to see if I liked it and now I want to proceed. The only problem is, he wants $1200 to do 400 sq ft of tiled area. It does not appear to be something that is difficult to do, just time consuming. But since we are retired, time we have.

Is this difficult to do? Are there any suprises lurking? Any advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to your timely response. Jen

Old 02-09-07, 06:31 AM
I
Did this to my old kitchen floor.......... white tile with white grout what was I thinking? Changed it to a medium grey and was very happy with it.

Not difficult to do but time consuming and hard on the knees. What I learned...

1) Much better to do two lighter coats than trying to hurry and do one.

2) Do small areas at a time and clean up any that gets on tile before it dries as very hard to get out of crevices once dried. Could have just been my white tile that really showed this but better safe than sorry.

3) Tape baseboards, etc where grout meets them as you will want to get as close as possible to wall.

Good luck and enjoy your finished project!

Old 02-09-07, 01:00 PM
M

Thanks for your insight. It is always good to hear from someone that has done this project before. I think I will try t\and if it doesn't work, well Anthony will come and clean up my mess. Thanks, Jen

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: