Porcelain Slate Tile Sealer

Old 02-20-07, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porcelain Slate Tile Sealer

I have a green porcelain slate floor in my kitchen. It shows dirt really badly.

I used an iRobot Scooba on it. Love my robot but it took the sheen off. So I went to Home Depot and the guy said that Rejuvenate Floor Sealer would do a fantastic job. Said it was like Mop N Glo but would last longer.

I cleaned the floor, used Rejuvenate and it did look better with a little shine. However, after about 2 Scooba washings the sheen is gone.

Any suggestions for an enviromentally friendly porcelain tile sealer with a sheen that is safe for use with the Scooba that won't remove the sheen for at least a couple of months?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-07, 02:45 AM
Problem, there's no such thing as a porcelain slate tile. There's porcelain, there's slate, or there's a porcelain look alike that is designed to look like slate, but no porcelain slate. Slate is a natural stone, is porous, and needs to be sealed. Porcelain is a man made product, is very dense, is not porous, and not only does not need to be sealed, but sealer of any kind won't stick to it long and will make it look pretty bad. If you have porcelain and you're trying to make it shiny with sealers, waxes, or the like, that's the problem. The tile is what it is and the only fix for the sheen that I'm aware of lies in having picked a tile with a surface sheen you liked in the first place because there's nothing I'm aware of that will change it. Just clean it, keep the grout sealed about once a year, and learn to like it.

Old 02-21-07, 08:46 AM
Porcelain Slate Look Tile Sealer

It is porcelain made to look like slate. As you are suggesting . . . have not found a product that will stick to it and make it shiny. I hate the look.

Actually the look at first had a sheen but the sheen came off within a few washings.

Rather than replace the tile which would cost thousands . . . . surely there is a product that will make it have a more gloss coat.

Old 02-21-07, 09:03 AM
Expoxy or Polyurethane on Porcelain

Spoke to Aquamix and they said that my best bet would be to put a polyurethane or epoxy coat on my tile. What do you all think of this idea?

Old 02-21-07, 04:45 PM
The new sheen came off after a few washings? Hmmm.... That's odd, that surface sheen is baked on and you shouldn't be able to "wash" it off. Are you sure it's gone or just hidden with a buildup of whatever you're cleaning it with? Just a suggestion here, but I think I'd investigate that option before adding anything else to the stuff.

Old 02-21-07, 07:40 PM
I agree with Smokey's assessment, just my $.02 worth.