Advice on Ceramic/Porcelain tile

Old 03-03-07, 05:42 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on Ceramic/Porcelain tile

Hi, new to this site and looking to see if anyone has suggestions of a neutral tile that will go good with cupboards that are a medium red oak color. Any suggestions as to what to look for. I know this may be vague, but any input helps, THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-07, 06:33 PM
There is a lot to look at if you go to some of the tile retailers in your area. Dont bother with the home centers. There have to be about 100 manufacturers that would have something you may like. As far as porcelain vs ceramic they will both work for a floor or wall application in a kitchen. The porcelain will be a bit stronger on wear.

Old 03-03-07, 09:59 PM
S
Much of it depends on what you're willing to spend. Porcelain is typically quite a bit more expensive than ceramic. Porcelain, IMO, is usually overkill in a residential setting. It is very dense and can be used in extreme weather conditions both inside and outside where many of the ceramics won't hold up under similar conditions. The main thing I try to make sure folks are aware of is the body of the choice you settle on. One of the advantages to porcelain is its through body coloring. The tile is normally the same color from wear surface to under surface. If it gets chipped, the chip won't be as obvious because the body of the tile is the same color as the top. Many ceramic tiles are constructed the same way. But, many ceramic tiles have a red body clay construction. These are often less expensive, but, if they get chipped, the chip is very obvious because it is a glaring red color. I normally advise folks to try to like a ceramic that has a through body color construction. There are many choices in this category to choose from in many price ranges and you should be able to find something that works. Porcelain does have one more advantage in that there are some very realistic travertine look alikes available in it. If you like the stone look but don't want the maintenance issues that go with it, these might be a good choice. One of my favorites right now is a tile from Emser called Padua. It is a through body ceramic, looks great, comes in several colors and sizes with bull nose trim available and is very reasonably priced.