tile set time over concrete

Old 03-06-07, 07:11 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tile set time over concrete

I am in the early stages of planning to remove linoleum and tile over a concrete slab in kitchen and utility (washer/dryer/softener/H2O heater/furnace) rooms.

What is the set time (after grouting) for the tile before the floor can be used again? I think I saw somewhere it is a long time, like 30 days, is this correct?

If this is true, how would one go about dealing with this while living in the house and needing the kitchen/washer, etc.?

Also, would this be considered a high moisture area? Would I need mastic or thinset?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-07, 03:01 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
A lot of fast food and the laudromat. Just kiddin.

You can get back on the floor in a couple of days. Its not considered a wet area, but don't use mastic on the floor. You need to use thinset. Its a good idea to use an isolation membrane like ditra over the slab. This will provide protection for any horizontal movement in the slab.

Old 03-06-07, 03:30 PM
T
good news, thanks. i was a bit surprised at what i saw, although my memory could be suspect.

Old 03-07-07, 03:55 AM
T
It could take 30 days to use the floor again if you use a premixed thinset. Buckets labeled as premixed thinset are actually mastic with sand, so, 2 weeks for the tile to be set up enough to grout, 1 week for the floor to fail, 2 days of cleaning up the floor and the tile of the wet mastic underneath, time to reset and grout with bagged portland cement thinset ang grout. Yeah, that's about 30 days.

Old 03-07-07, 06:23 AM
T
so stay away from premixed thinset and only use a portland bagged cement thinset that i mix myself.

thanks! you all probably saved me a lot of $$ and frustration!