Tile on concrete slab

Old 03-08-07, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile on concrete slab

in my foyer there is currently some ugly outdated looking slate that i'd like to remove and put some new tile over. My question is,after i remove the slate(comes up ok with a big hammer and chisel),the thinset or mortar or whatever is still stuck directly to the concrete slab,and is nearly impossible to get off. Can i put a new layer of thinset over this to smooth & level it out(the grooves from the notched trowel are still there),then after that dries,spread new thinset and tile directly to that?

Height will not be an issue,there is actually enuff room to go over the top of the existing tile,but its loose and cracked in a few places,and i know you shouldnt go over the loose tiles with new material
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-07, 09:36 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You can grind the thinset off the slab.

You can do what you propose as well, but sometimes its not easy to get the area to be tiled flat that way.

Old 03-08-07, 05:41 PM
you can grind it but seal off the rest off your house you will have massive amounts of dust(trust me). best way is to do as you said but go ahead and get as many high spots as you can first this will cut down on the amount you will have to level. Mapei makes a good self leveler(sp). Lowes carries Mapei products. And then tile over that.

Old 03-08-07, 05:48 PM
i figured it would be ok..kinda like doing bodywork on cars..i planned on knocking down as many high spots as possible to use the least amount of "filler" possible..thanks guys

Old 03-08-07, 11:55 PM
If floor height is not an issue than look into using a self leveling concrete (SLC). Much easier and way less of a mess.

Old 03-23-07, 05:21 AM
First thanks for the tips,
I have to remove a small entrance section of tile before I redo my whole room.
So I would have to grind this thinset off to match the rest of my slab for even tiles.
Do you recommend an Angle Grinder for this?
I am hoping they have Boche Surface Grinder for rent somewhere. 400 bucks for this little bad boy is steep.

Just to add another question/clarification,
Do you need to level off your concrete slab picture perfect for tile like in a wood floor?
or the thinset compensates for this correct?