tile outdoors?

Old 03-16-07, 01:57 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tile outdoors?

I live in New York and have a covered entry way. Can I put tile on the floor of it? For years I've had a thin layer of concrete but it keeps cracking and needs replacement. Assuming that the substrate is OK, will there be a problem with grout, freezing and thawing?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-07, 08:35 PM
P
I've said this a million times before, but I guess once more won't hurt.
I have torn out and replaced a multitude of jobs where people tried to use tile outdoors in a freeze/thaw climate. Without exception, every customer said "the guy used frost proof tile and grout so we thought it would be OK". In every instance, moisture got under the tile and freezing popped it up. I would NEVER tile outdoors in a freeze climate.

Old 03-16-07, 11:03 PM
S
Ditto. I know conventional wisdom says it can be done, but my experience has been the same as Pecos.

Old 03-17-07, 08:32 AM
Unless the concrete slab is properly prepared according to Tile Council of North America (TCNA) guidelines in methods F101-05 & F102-05 you will be doomed as the others mentioned above. A porcelain tile, which by definition is non-absorbtive of moisture, must be used along with a modified thinset, but that is the least of it. Everything else is in the preparation of the slab.